Coffee affogato: variations on a cool recipe for summer
In traditional Italian cuisine there are numerous coffee-based desserts, such as tiramisù, but also classic cakes and sponges .
Apart from these delicious desserts, however, there is one which is the real prince of the summer table, whether we are talking about a family lunch or a dinner with friends: that is the coffee affogato, which we are going to give you the recipe for today, tell you about its characteristics and give you some variations which you can make at home.
Are to ready to find out how to prepare it?
Coffee affogato: which flavor of ice-cream to choose?
To prepare a good coffee affogato you need to start by choosing what flavor of ice-cream you will use as your base: many flavors are suitable for preparing this recipe, but not all.
In particular, there is a sort of “golden rule” which you should never forget: never make it using coffee flavored ice-cream, because the flavor will be decidedly redundant.
The classic version is made using vanilla ice-cream, but also custard and milk flavors work perfectly well, as well as hazelnut and pistacchio, which are more unusual but just as delicious.
Finally, we should also not underestimate coffee affogato made using chocolate or coconut ice-cream, which we will use in a recipe which also has a dash of liqueur.
Coffee affogato: the classic recipe
At the summer dinner table, the coffee affogato often puts in an appearance at the end of the meal: a dessert which defies the passing of time and is always valid, quick to make and always much appreciated, thanks to the perfect mix of flavors and consistencies.
Here’s how to make the classic recipe coffee affogato using milk flavored ice-cream.
- milk flavored ice-cream (2 scoops per person)
- unsweetened espresso coffee Delicato Filicori Zecchini (1 shot per person)
- whipped cream
- bitter cocoa powder
- chocolate shavings
1. Prepare the espresso using the mocha. Pour it into a bowl and leave until just tepid.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the ice-cream cups, putting two scoops in each one, using an appropriate utensil.
3. Pour the now tepid coffee over the scoops of ice-cream. Garnish with a flourish of fresh whipped cream.
4. According to taste, sprinkle with chocolate shavings and bitter cocoa powder, then serve.
Shaken Coffee affogato
If you have a shaker available, you can make a re-worked version of the classic coffee affogato: follow these simple instructions and enjoy the final result, you won’t be disappointed.
- hazelnut ice-cream (2 scoops per person)
- unsweetened espresso Delicato Filicori Zecchini (1 shot per person)
- sugar (1 teaspoon per person)
- chopped hazelnuts for decoration
1. Prepare the coffee using the mocha.
2. Pour it, still hot, into the shaker and add the sugar. Close and shake for about a minute.
3. Prepare the cups with hazelnut ice-cream and pour the shaken coffee over it.
4. Garnish with chopped hazelnuts before serving.
Coffee affogato with liqueur
The great versatility of the coffee affogato also makes it perfect in the slightly alcoholic version, which can be made by adding a coffee liqueur, or another liqueur which reinforces the flavor of the ice-cream used, such as for example coconut rum or a cream liqueur.
- coconut ice-cream (2 scoops per person)
- unsweetened coffee Delicato Filicori Zecchini (1 shot per person)
- coffee liqueur (1 teaspoonful per person)
- grated dried coconut to taste
1. Prepare the coffee using the mocha. Pour it into a bowl and leave until just tepid. Add the coffee liqueur and stir.
2. In the meantime, prepare the ice-cream cups, putting two scoops in each, using the appropriate utensil.
3. Pour the coffee and the liqueur over the coconut ice-cream.
4. Decorate to taste with dried coconut shavings, then serve.
Are you fans of the coffee affogato?
Which flavor ice-cream do you prefer to prepare it with?