When we think of sorbet, the lemon variety most often springs to mind, often served between courses in the case of long lunches with many courses like at a wedding.
Another version of this delight is the fruit sorbet, to be savored at the end of a meal, with or without added alcohol.
But a sorbet can also be made using coffee: half way between an ice-cream and a granita, this dessert is prepared with the help of a few handy pieces of equipment without necessarily needing an ice-cream maker and can be kept in the freezer for a few days… that’s if you can resist the temptation to finish it all off immediately.
Today we will explain how to prepare home-made coffee sorbet, without an ice-cream maker with three variations on the original recipe: the first without eggs, the second without cream and finally, a slightly alcoholic version.
Recipes for making coffee sorbet
As we have already specified when talking about creamy iced coffee, in order to make coffee sorbet at home, it is not necessary to have an ice-cream maker, even if this equipment undoubtedly helps to reduce the preparation time.
But if you don’t have one of these, even just a few normal kitchen utensils will be enough:
- a small saucepan for preparing the syrup;
- whisks, better if they are electric (but the manual version will do just as well), for whisking cream or egg whites;
- some containers with lids suitable for the freezer;
- and, obviously, a mocha in which to prepare the coffee.
Coffee and chocolate sorbet
This delicious recipe marries the freshness of the coffee granita with the indulgence of dark chocolate
Ingredients for two people
- 5.07 fl oz of water
- 3.38 fl oz of full-fat milk
- 2 shots of Filicori Zecchini espresso
- 1.76 oz of dark chocolate
- 4.23 oz of powdered sugar
1. Prepare the coffee and leave to cool. In a small saucepan, melt the dark chocolate in a bain-marie, then leave to cool, stirring occasionally.
In the basket of the ice-cream maker pour the milk, water and powdered sugar, and start stirring the ingredients.
Then add the coffee and keep stirring. Finally, add the dark chocolate and leave the ice-cream maker blades turning until the mixture is completely cooled.
2. Gradually, as the time passes, you should get a more and more creamy consistency: once you have reached the desired density, transfer to the glasses and enjoy cold.
Coffee sorbet without eggs
The energy from the coffee sorbet and the sweetness of the whipped cream come together to create the perfect dessert, that can be made easily without an ice-cream maker and is ideal for summer afternoons.
Ingredients for 6 people
- 3 shots of Filicori Zecchini coffee
- 6.17 oz of sugar
- 8.82 oz of water
- 3.53 oz of liquid cream
1. First of all, prepare the coffee with the mocha.
In a small saucepan, pour the water, sugar and coffee and simmer on a low heat stirring gently until the sugar has melted.
2. Add 80 g of liquid cream and keep stirring over a low heat.
Once it starts to boil, remove from the heat and leave to cool to room temperature, stirring from time to time with the whisk.
When the mixture has cooled, pour into a container suitable for the freezer.
Take it out every 45-60 minutes to stir it and then put back in the freezer.
3. After at least 4 hours, you can serve your coffee sorbet in glasses.
Whip the rest of the cream and decorate each portion.
Coffee sorbet without cream
In this recipe no cream is used. In fact, the coffee is just mixed with a syrup of sugar and water, added to the beaten egg white and ready to enjoy after being left to rest in the freezer.
Ingredients for 4 people
- 6 shots of Filicori Zecchini espresso
- 8.45 fl oz of water
- 8.82 oz of sugar
- 1.76 oz of powdered sugar
- 1 egg white
- dark chocolate for decoration
1. First of all, prepare the mocha and, once your coffee is ready, leave it to cool. In a small saucepan heat the sugar and the water until they become a smooth syrup.
Add the coffee and stir well; then, leave to cool and put in the fridge for at least an hour.
2. Beat the egg white with the powdered sugar until stiff.
In order to get the best result, put the container and the whisks in the freezer 10 minutes before, then take out everything and pour in the half-beaten egg white, add the powdered sugar and continue with the whisks until the mixture becomes stiff.
3. Take the coffee out of the fridge and add the egg white, stir again and put in the freezer for at least 4 hours.
Then remove from the fridge and pour into glasses.
Serve your coffee sorbet with just a little dark chocolate freshly grated on top.
Alcoholic coffee sorbet
Adding a small glass of liqueur to your coffee sorbet will make it even more delicious
Ingredients for 4 people
- 4 shots of Filicori Zecchini espresso
- 8.45 fl oz of water
- 2.82 oz of fresh cream
- 6.35 oz of sugar
- 3 small glasses of liqueur (amaretto, sambuca or grappa)
1. First of all prepare the coffee.
Take a small saucepan, heat the water with the sugar and add the coffee.
Stir carefully without allowing the mixture to boil.
2. Add the liquid cream and cook over a low heat until it comes to the boil again.
Pour in the liqueur and continue stirring gently with a whisk or a wooden spoon.
3. Leave to cool, stirring from time to time, and transfer into a container suitable for the freezer, cover and leave in the freezer for at least 3 hours remembering to take it out and stir it from time to time.
Pour the alcoholic coffee sorbet into small glasses and serve cold.
Do you like these ideas for making coffee sorbet at home?
Whatever your favorite version, remember that to get the best result, it is fundamental to start with the best top quality ingredients.
In our shop on line find the best coffee blends to suit your taste!